There is nothing more refreshing than a cool glass of cucumber water during the summers! Cucumber water aids in the detoxification process and flushes out all the toxins from the body. Incorporating the powerhouse cucumber into your regular drinking water is the best way to consume the nutrients from cucumber.
Cucumber water is a healthy substitute to sweetened drinks and keeps you well hydrated. This nutritious vegetable is packed with vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre that helps to maintain a healthy body and mind. They are also rich in Vitamin C and A, Manganese and several antioxidants.
Now, let us look at some of the health benefits of consuming cucumber water.
1) Aids in weight loss: Cucumber water or cucumber detox water is low in calories and high in fibre. This makes for a great addition to your diet during weight loss because it fills you up and keeps the constant hunger pangs at bay.
2) Prevents cancer: Apart from antioxidants, cucumbers also have compounds called cucurbitacins and a group of nutrients called lignans, which are known to play a major role in preventing cancer. A dietary flavonoid component found in cucumbers might help to slow down the progression of prostate cancer.
3) Lowers blood pressure: Potassium found in cucumbers helps to regulate the amount of sodium retained by kidney. A diet high in sodium leads to high blood pressure, so drinking cucumber water is helpful in lowering blood pressure.
4) Hydrates the body: Water is essential for the body to function properly. Doctors and nutritionists advise to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water per day. Drinking cucumber water will not only add flavor to the water, but also hydrate your skin and body.
5) Boosts bone health: This crunchy and nutritious vegetable is a good source of Vitamin K. Vitamin K is required to help form proteins that are needed to make healthy bones and tissues as well as to help your blood cot properly.
6) Promotes muscle health: The potassium content in cucumber aids in the health of your muscle tissues. Drinking cucumber water daily helps in muscle recovery, hydration after exercise and overall physical health.
7) Supports healthy skin: Cucumber water is good for your skin because cucumbers are a good source of Vitamin B5, which has been used to treat acne. Drinking cucumber water daily will sooth your skin from the inside out.
How to Make Cucumber Water
1) In a large pitcher or jar, add the slice cucumber and salt
2) Pour water and stir properly
3) Drink as much water is required and keep it back in the refrigerator
4) Consume within 3 days