Avocados are one of those healthy fruits that have gained popularity because of its incredible nutritional value and diverse uses. They are rich in fibre, potassium, antioxidants and healthy fats. This healthy and nutritious fruit has a large seed that is discarded and only the fruit is eaten.
The seed of an avocado is known to have significant amount of fatty acids, fibre, carbohydrates and a small amount of protein. Now let us look at some of the health benefits of avocado seed listed below.
1) Lowers cholesterol: The fibre in avocado seed helps increase good cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol. High cholesterol is a contributing factor for coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. The nutrients and antioxidants present in avocado seed contributes in lowering cholesterol.
2) Reduces diabetes risk: A study published in the Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences showed that avocado seed contains bioactive phtochemicals which have the ability to lower the risk of diabetes.
3) Decreases blood pressure: Studies have shown that avocado seed extracts can help relax the blood vessels, which further helps to lower high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease.
4) Manages Alzheimer’s disease: According to a study, avocado seeds are used in traditional medicine for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. It is due to the presence of antioxidant activity in the seeds that are linked to the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
5) Helps with diarrhea and bladder problems: The avocado seed treats bladder problems and the grated seed as a condiment in their cooking sauces. The decoction of the seed has been, and still is, used in folk medicine to treat dysentery and diarrhea. It is also anti-inflammatory for the liver. It can also eliminate uric acid and treat kidney stones.
6) Helps the skin against sun damage: Avocado seed extracts have also been found to reverse or manage the skin damage and inflammation caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The fatty alcohols in avocado stop the condition before it progresses to cancer.
7) Improves vision: Avocados can help keep your eyes healthy. They contain carotenoids which are known to protect eyes against cataracts, eye diseases related to age, and macular degeneration. These conditions are often caused by free radicals that accumulate in the tissues of the eyes.