If you were to think about an easily available & exotic ingredient there’s quite a possibility that you’d name “Mushrooms” as your first choice. This fleshy, edible fungus is grown all across the world & has intercepted the global food scenario. There are numerous types of edible mushrooms, out of which Button Mushrooms, Portobello Mushrooms, Shitake Mushrooms, Porcini Mushrooms & Maitake Mushrooms are the popular varieties which are a part of various global cuisines.
The cultivation of these edible fungi is a rather technical & complicated process. Although the process remains the same, the quality & quantity differ based on some industry secrets. The first & the most important step towards the cultivation of Mushrooms is the compost which acts as the “soil” or breeding grounds for the mushrooms. The compost is then sterilized in order to eliminate all other bacterias & then it’s filled with mushroom spores & within 2-3 weeks, the batch will be ready to harvest. Although Mushrooms usually grow in Autumn, they can be grown all year round by mimicking similar climatic conditions. Temperature, Light control & Moisture Control play an important role in Mushroom cultivation.
Although mushrooms have a reputation for being toxic, the edible varieties are surprisingly healthy & delicious! Mushrooms are Fat- free, low calorie & cholesterol-free, which makes them an ideal replacement to meats and dishes with a similar texture. Mushrooms are also full of antioxidants which help your body to ward off free radicals. Mushrooms also contain B vitamins which protect heart health, good for red blood cells, maintains the digestive system & healthy skin. These fungi are also a rich source of Copper, which is an essential mineral for the production of red blood cells in our body. Even after being cooked, one cup of Mushrooms can provide about one-third of the daily recommended amount of copper.
Make some room for Mushrooms & lead a healthy lifestyle with our fungi friends! Available all year round, these meaty & flavourful mushrooms are the perfect addition to your diet if you’re looking to lose some weight, decrease your cholesterol & an alternative to meat for your nutritional needs. We have MUSH-ROOM for wellness, it’s time you do too!
Here’s an amazing mushroom chili recipe that’ll definitely leave you asking for more! Use only the best ingredients in your cooking, get safe-to-eat & locally sourced Mushrooms delivered at your doorstep only from Farmers Fresh Zone! Tap here for more.
You will need:
- 200g Mushrooms
- One cup of chopped spring onion. (We need the bulbs & the leaves chopped & kept separately)
- One big onion(Sliced from the middle and the petals kept separately)
- Soy sauce, Green Chilli Sauce, Red chilli sauce & half tbsp of vinegar.
- Chopped Garlic( 3-4 tbsp) & Half tbsp of ginger.
- Oil, Salt & black pepper.
1. Heat a wok or a kadhai. Once the wok is hot, add 2-3 tbsp of oil and wait till the oil is hot enough or begins to smoke.
2. Keep the flame on a high & add the ginger and garlic, saute for 10 seconds. Add the spring onions(The white part) and saute everything together for another 10-15 seconds.
3. Add the mushrooms and mix everything together. Add a tbsp each of soy sauce, green chilli sauce, vinegar, Red chilli sauce & toss everything together in the wok.
4. Reduce the flame to a medium & cook everything. Add salt & pepper to taste.
5. Adjust the taste as per your preference & add the sauced accordingly. If you prefer a hint of sweetness add half tbsp ketchup or honey to the mushrooms.
6. Turn off the heat & add the spring onion greens to the mushrooms, as a garnish.
7. Your healthy mushroom stir fry is ready!