A root vegetable that’s commonly grown in temperate zones & is a relative of the radish, the turnip is a rather less known vegetable in India but is popular around the world. Although Turnip is considered to be of an East Asian origin, it was widely cultivated around the Roman Empire & is now grown all in temperate regions all across the globe. These vegetables all available all year round but are at their best during the fall & spring. Read on to know more!
Since Turnips are related to all the members of the mustard family, they tend to have a mild spiciness like the Radish & texture like potatoes. Turnips can be eaten raw, cooked, roasted and even shredded to use in Salads. The texture & flavor if Turnips makes them a perfect pair to foods with strong flavors. The texture, flavour & nutritional properties of Turnips has earned it a reputation of being a highly versatile ingredient.
Turnips are members of the cruciferous family which is known for their low calorie, presence of bio-compounds & nutrient-rich properties. A cup of raw Turnip contains 36 calories, no fat & just 8 grams of carbohydrates. Turnips provide 46% of your daily recommended dose of Vitamin C. Turnips contain several compounds associated to have cancer-fighting properties. Turnips contain Glucosinolates which are known to possess antioxidant properties. This vegetable is also said to cure internal inflammation, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Turnips contain glucosinolates which are said to eliminate compounds that are responsible for inhibiting microbial & bacterial growth.
The low calorie and high fiber property of Turnips, make it the perfect food for people looking to lose some weight. Turnips are a rich source of Vitamin K which ensures healthy bones. Your body needs minerals in order to help your nerves send signals & keep your muscles in optimal condition & turnips are a rich source of minerals. Regular consumption of Turnips also ensures good eye health and reduces the risk of macular degeneration.
Turnips are a tasty and healthy addition to your diets which provides excellent nutrition and ensures optimal functioning of the essential bodily functions. So, what are you waiting for, its time to TURNIP THE BEAT!
Try this quick & easy Roasted turnip sandwich recipe, a perfect snack for the health-conscious. Use only the best ingredients for your cooking, get locally sourced & pesticide free Turnips delivered at your doorstep, Tap here for more information.
You will need:
- One or two Peeled & thinly sliced turnips.
- Finely chopped garlic.
- A tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Wheat bread or any other bread.
- Half tbsp of Butter.
- One tbsp of Olive Oil.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
1. Heat a pan & once the pan is hot enough add some olive oil to it. Once the oil is nice and hot, roast the sliced Turnips.
2. Add chopped garlic to the Turnips & roast till the Turnips turn brown and are unevenly charred.
3. Mix in the mayonnaise with the roasted turnips, add salt & pepper to taste as per your preference.
4. Keep the roasted turnips aside & add a tbsp of butter to the same pan. Toast the bread slices in butter.
5. Tuck in a spoonful of the turnip-mayo mix between we prepared earlier between the toasted slices of bread.
5. Your roasted Turnip Salad is ready to eat!